At the Verdant Health Commission, we occasionally are asked about volunteer opportunities within our organization. Our answer? If you enjoy walking for fitness or for fun, then volunteering as a walk leader for our summertime South County Walks program would be a great fit.
Everyone is welcome to come to our info session and training for South County Walks on Thursday, June 14, 2018 from 5:30-6:30 p.m. at the Verdant Community Wellness Center (4710 196th St. SW, Lynnwood) to learn more. There is no obligation to commit to volunteering if you attend, but this is a good opportunity to learn more about what is involved. Volunteers can assist with one walk or multiple, based on each individuals’ availability. Learn more on the South County Walks web page. If you plan to attend the info session and training, please RSVP to Sue Waldin at email@example.com or (425) 582-9412.
In case you weren’t already familiar with the benefits of walking, here’s a reminder courtesy of the American Heart Association:
Research has shown that walking at least 30 minutes a day can help you:
- Reduce your risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
- Improve your blood pressure, blood sugar levels and blood lipid profile
- Maintain your body weight and lower the risk of obesity
- Enhance your mental well-being
- Reduce your risk of osteoporosis
- Reduce your risk of breast and colon cancer
- Reduce your risk of non-insulin dependent (type 2) diabetes
There really are so many benefits for such a simple activity!