The Verdant Health Commission is now accepting funding proposals through its Building Healthy Communities Fund. The purpose of the new fund is to support projects in South Snohomish County that increase opportunities for residents to live active and healthy lives. As part of its planning and needs assessment work, Verdant has determined that there are challenges that keep South Snohomish County residents from being active. By creating the Building Healthy Community Fund, Verdants goal is to address these gaps by funding projects that sustain long-term improvements that support living healthy and active lives.
Verdant is specifically seeking projects that:
- Provide access to health and wellness opportunities in neighborhoods or communities that are not currently available.
- Can measure specific results and community health or wellness improvements as a result of the project. Verdant has a preference for projects that can demonstrate improvements in health or wellness, rather than just raw usage numbers.
- Include cooperation between multiple organizations or jurisdictions.
- Leverage other funding sources.
- Have a clear plan for ongoing maintenance and sustainability.
Detailed descriptions of funding guidelines, criteria, and application materials can be found on Verdants website: http://verdanthealth.org/about-us/grant-information/. Questions may also be directed to George Kosovich at 425-582-8572 or email@example.com.
The deadline for submitting an application is November 1, 2013 at 5 p.m. Verdant will hold an information session describing the funding availability on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 from 2:00-3:00 p.m. at Verdants office in Lynnwood (3815 196th St. Sw, Suite 136). Applicants are not required to attend the information session to apply for funding. In addition to the Building Healthy Communities Fund opportunity, Verdant continues to accept applications for its multi-year and one-time health and wellness programs on an ongoing basis.
Building Healthy Communities Fund: Frequently Asked Questions
1. What type of projects is Verdant seeking to fund through its Building Healthy Communities Fund, and how is this different from its other grant programs?
Verdant continues to review program applications for one-time or multi-year health and wellness programs focused on prevention, education & empowerment, access to healthcare, and policy & advocacy. The unique opportunity with the Building Healthy Communities Fund is that Verdant is seeking out projects that improve how communities support an active lifestyle.
Verdant expects that projects funded through the Building Healthy Communities Fund will require significant improvements in community infrastructure and will provide long-term benefits for community members.
2. What is the application deadline?
The deadline for receiving complete applications is November 1, 2013 at 5 p.m. Applications and supporting materials must be sent via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Is my organization eligible to apply?
We will accept applications from non-profit and government organizations. We encourage collaboration, as multiple organizations or jurisdictions working together on a project is preferred but not required.
4. Are there limitations on how the funds can be used?
Funds must be used to meet the health and wellness needs of South Snohomish County residents. Funds will not be awarded for the benefit of an individual person, for political or religious uses, to retire debt, or strictly for fundraising purposes.